Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Mango Chutney


When the mango season is upon us in this region, we tend to make the most of it by preparing whatever we can with this luscious pulpy fruit! Not just in its ripe form but even when its raw and a complete opposite of its ripened self in terms of flavors and texture yet, equally delicious!
I have shared a couple of recipes by using fresh Pakistani mangoes in my previous posts on the blog. You can check them in the list of recipes.
At my household, my Mom makes Acchaar (pickle) with raw mangoes, called Kairee in Urdu, and also Chutney with it. She never made these before and only started making after we moved to Pakistan. She got the recipe from her Khala (maternal aunt) of both and since then, we've never had store bought Achaar :) But Chutney is something that she has only made a couple of times in all these years and the only reason because nobody is that fond of it in my family except for me and it also lasted for an entire year every time since I was the only one who ate it.
I love pairing it with a flaky, crispy plain Paratha (a flat bread made with using Ghee/Butter) any kind of stuffed Paratha and Daal Chawal (lentil curry with boiled rice) 

Washed Kairees are peeled 1st
Then cut into thin chips


Last year I made this Chutney with my Mom's help. She did all the preps and I just cooked it and took the photos although I wasn't blogging at the time but it sure was on my mind that maybe some day I will :) I used to take photos with my iPhone, that I still do, that's why my photos aren't anywhere near to all those fancy photos I see on my fellow blogger's blogs but I'm happy with mine at the moment and trying to improve my photography skills while still using my iPhone :)
So, this Mango Chutney we made last year and shared with everyone. The best thing about this Chutney is that it can stay well in the refrigerator for up to an year but only if you have canned it right and the temperature of the fridge hasn't been fluctuating. The best time of making this Chutney is now as the raw mangoes available in the market are not completely raw and you get some ripened bits of it with the fruit too. The method of making this Chutney is time consuming and the entire preparation requires patience but its totally worth it! 

Let's get some spiciness unleashed today! :D



Mango Chutney

Ingredients:

Raw Mangoes (Kairee): 2 kg/4.40 lbs
Granulated White Sugar: 6 cups/1,206 gm/3 lbs
Salt: 1 tbsp.
Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp.
Red Chili Flakes: 1 1/2 tsp.
Garam Masala Powder: 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp.
Garlic Powder: 1/4 tsp.
Ginger Powder: 1 tsp.
Green Cardamom Powder: 1/2 tsp.
Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp. (Roasted)
Carom Seeds:1/2 tsp.
Nigella Seeds: 1 tsp
White Vinegar: 1/4 cup
Water: For boiling
Almonds: 1/2 cup (blanched)
Sultanas: 1/2 cup

Method:

  1. Wash and peel the raw mangoes. Slice them and discard the stone/seed and cut them into thin chips.
  2. Take plenty of water in a large pot and boil the mango chips. Once start boiling, turn off the flame after 2,3 minutes.
  3. Drain out all the water by putting the boiled mangoes into a colander.
  4. In another heavy bottomed, non-reactive large pot, put the boiled mangoes along with all the ingredients except for the vinegar, almonds and sultanas. Mix well.
  5. Let this cook over medium heat. You'd see that once the sugar and rest of the ingredients are mixed with the mangoes, a lot of juices will be released. keep stirring the mixture from time to time.
  6. Once the juices released starts boiling, lower the flame and let it cook for 20-25 minutes while again stirring regularly. 
  7. After 20-25 minutes, you will see that the juices have thickened. We are aiming at a jam like texture therefore, if you feel that the chutney has thickened enough then turn off the flame otherwise cook for a few minutes more.
  8. After the Chutney is cooked, add the vinegar and stir well. 
  9. Now add the almonds and the sultanas and mix well.
  10. Let the Chutney cool down a little before pouring it into the sterilized jars. To find out how to sterilize the jars, please look at my post of Strawberry Preserves/Jam here.
  11. Can stay good up to an year.
Yields: 3 1000 gm jars



That's all, Chutney Addicts! :) The quantity of the ingredients can always be adjusted according to your desire and convenience but do stick to the ratio. I hope you enjoy making and eating it. Until next time, keep sharing the goodness of this greatest blessing, that has been bestowed in abundance upon us the lucky ones, with the less fortunate ones.
Thank you and please remember in your Du'as/prayers! :)

*Not be duplicated, rewritten or published without permission- Thank you! 















35 comments:

  1. Madiha, I am truly a chutney addict and this chutney looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are just like me then when it comes to liking chutney! :D
      Thanks very much! :)

      Delete
  2. Mango Chutney oh Yes!!! Very nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Indeed! :D
      Thanks very much for commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is really yummy, Christopher! You must try it.
      Thanks for liking :)

      Delete
  4. Yummy mango chutney, it looks perfect & thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for appreciating! Really means a lot :)

      Delete
  5. You did it again! I really want to make this, but I might have an issue sourcing some of the ingredients here. I'll have to take a quick shopping trip to some ethnic stores. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try making it and I think, you will be able to find the ingredients quite easily although I can happily exchange this chutney with those lovely treats you prepare! :D
      Thanks so much for your lovely comment as always!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Please do and I hope you like it :) Would love to hear the feedback :)
      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I love Mango Chutney. This looks delish. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that you liked it, Preethi!
      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  8. How cool to make it!

    Are the mangoes unripe, or is the color just different from the orange I'm used to in the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This chutney is made with raw, unripe mangos, Anne that's why the color is light :)
      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  9. I've never had chutney before! I love mango and this looks divine so I know I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this recipe then, Sophia! I'm sure you'd love it :)
      Thanks very much for liking! :)

      Delete
  10. You know I adore mango chutney but have never ever made it. I can just imagine th depth of flavour in this one with all those lovely spices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you're right about the flavours; it really turns out amazing! :)
      Do try it someday if you can :)
      Thanks very much for taking out time to read and for commenting! :)

      Delete
  11. <3 this looks fabulous! Love mango chutney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ceara for stopping by and for liking the recipe! :)

      Delete
  12. Mango chutney looks so delicious. Its so different from the chundo I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mayuri! I'm glad you liked it :)

      Delete
  13. Chutney is not used enough and you really turned out a beautiful recipe here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for appreciating, Ginny! Really means a lot! :)

      Delete
  14. This sounds really delicious, Madiha! :-) I love chutneys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never added garlic to any of my mango pickle/ chutneys..looks worth a try...love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try adding it, Pragti if you like the flavor of it :) I love it in my chutney :)
      Thanks so much for liking! :)

      Delete
  16. Wow, your recipes always have cool stories behind them, I like it! It's great to have a Khaal that passes on awesome recipes too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to know that you enjoy reading my posts! Thanks so much as that really means a lot to me! :D
      And agreed upon totally; its wonderful to have elders of the family around as they not only pass on the traditions and knowledge they've acquired over the years, but also share their recipes and experiences with us :)
      Thanks very much once again!

      Delete
  17. Wow, your recipes always have cool stories behind them, I like it! It's great to have a Khaal that passes on awesome recipes too :D

    ReplyDelete